Author Topic: PHA for hypertrophy?  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Steff

• Global Moderator
  • Hercules Member
  • From BB to OL-lifting
    • View Profile
PHA for hypertrophy?
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »
I usually stick to a routine for at least 2 months and I'll follow this PL routine to the end. But my mind is already elsewhere... I'm thinking along the lines of PHA inspired routine with a concurrent periodization.
Exercises used for monday: Front squat, BB row, Calf raise, DB bench press, SLDL.
Monday: heavy, 3 reps/exercise with my 5-6 rep max 4-5 min rest, aiming for 8 "sets".
Wednesday: light, 12 reps/exercise 2 min rest 3 "sets"
Friday; medium, 8 reps/exercise 3 min rest 4 "sets"

I intend use more isos on the lighter days.

I have another version where I just do the heavy day as PHA and the other two as regular full body 3x12 and 4x8. I'm thankful for any input and critique.

This is something I've been toying with in my mind for a while and I don't even know if it's possible to do.

Offline Steff

• Global Moderator
  • Hercules Member
  • From BB to OL-lifting
    • View Profile
Re: PHA for hypertrophy?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
Yes, i think it gives you a more athletic aesthetic, withouth the sometimes unnatural pumped look after over 15 sets in the arms, per example. You force the blood to go up and down along yur body and gives you more recovery time. This mean more intensity.

Offline Steff

• Global Moderator
  • Hercules Member
  • From BB to OL-lifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »
I have done 3 trial WO with PHA-ish set up and I must say that Jason was right(surprise ::)).
I've made small visits to 20 rep squat country and now a small one to PHA. 20 rep squats is hard but PHA is harder. Even though I took very light loads on each exercise the oxygen debt was more severe. But that's probably because it allowed me to do 3x10 for the whole body in less than 10 minutes.