Author Topic: Reg Park and his begginings  (Read 8484 times)

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
Reg Park and his begginings
« on: October 02, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »
This lines are only a reflection about how much time Reg took to build his great strenght.

He begin to work with weights on 1945 doing, per exemple, bench press (on floor) with 60 lb.  After one year he went to army.  In the moment he began it, his power didn't have increased too much, as he said. Only, the mention of press and curls with 80 lb.  During his army time, only did 20 workouts, but the free weights exercises he surely did there would be a lot and give important strenght and resistance.  Perhaps, as he was a tall and athletical man, after his comeback I suppouse he could did bench press with 160 lb.
But, his time was the winter of 1948 / 1949.  That year he saw the mr universe at London, and got the decision to be the best bodybuilder of the world.  And to get it, he saw one way: to work harder and harder. And, it begin the PARK'S MIRACLE.  In only one year (at september of 1949) the change is amazing: Clean and and press with a pair of 100 lb DB, and in 1952, his famous lifts: 500 lb at bench press and 600 lb at full squat.

With an interval of 24-36 months, he gain in Bech Press, at least, 300 lb.  Perhaps less time, because he said that from 1949 and to the late 50's, he was probably the Britain's strongest bodybuilder.  How a human can build his physique at that speed? Incredible.  And 100% natural, of course.

Alwayn, one of the last Reg Park's pupil and andministrator of Reg Park forum in the first years, said about it:  I've heard stories from Reg regarding his training in those early days before he won the first Universe, and I can promise you it's through sheer will and determination that Reg made such brilliant gains. A lot of good food, lots of hard exercise, and 10 hour sleep per night goes a very long way, but he also had the passion to be the best he could possibly be - and the rest is history as we know it...
Red would train out side in his parents back yard in Leeds.  Apparently he continued his training even in during the harsh winter months.  Reg did talk about them from time to time yeah. He used to train in 3 pairs of tracksuits in the garden! And the only light he had was the light shining through the dining room window of his parents' house. I know he also had some home made weights, made from cement in a very rudimentary fashion. Now that speaks of a lot of commitment - continue remembering Alwyn.

And what about the postware diet restrictions:

This give his way an even more impressive because the fact that Reg was training right after WWII when England still was rationing food (believe this was the case up until about 1950), so he must have really had to work hard to find the protein he needed to build muscle.
As we can hear in the DVD autobiography from 2008, recorded in his last months of life, his friends and training partners give him a supplement of eggs, chesse, milk, etc. daily, to overcome the limitations of food intake in the post war times.  The succes is the will to power of a man, but also the help of others.  No one walks alone all his life.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:56:37 AM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
Re: Reg Park and his begginings
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »
This photo was taken at the vikings' club, before the mr britain 1949.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:09:43 AM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »
What a back!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:57:12 AM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
The first progress of the begginings:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:57:42 AM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
The very first contest.  Mr N E Britain

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:18:16 AM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:53:17 AM »
Waiting in the mr Britain, I think
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:59:31 AM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 01:36:46 AM »
"Hey Weider,  I am really boring to play the game for you.  I think in the future I will edite a journal" ;)
In the first voyage to the USA.  After the Mr Britain.   The world began to know him.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:00:19 PM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
sigmund Klein, a reference also for Reg as was for Grimek in his begginings. In the photographs, Jow Weider and Steeve Reeves also. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:01:03 PM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »
Another one:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:02:19 PM by Sergio »