Author Topic: Delts: the lateral head by Vince Gironda  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Steff

• Global Moderator
  • Hercules Member
  • From BB to OL-lifting
    • View Profile
Delts: the lateral head by Vince Gironda
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »
This article breaks all the rules of modern, "safe" training. But be careful, if you're prone for impingement
this way may not be for you.
(Hits the lateral head hard though)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:23:17 PM by Steff »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
Re: Delts: the lateral head by Vince Gironda
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:06:49 AM »
I have fear in my early time in weigtraining for overworking the front delt, and soon I discover that if I did laterqls, I will train  better the lateral head. But I do it weong, in order of getting stronger (adding weight and more weight) so apart of the danger to my left frontal delt, I do a little (from this kind of training, and all the bench press done, I have the feble head, the left, more developed that the right).  Later I read an advice of Arnold, that is quite the same advice giving here by Vince Gironda.  And I do it for the laterals.  I can tell you that after years, in a hard gainer like me, the difference exist: now my lateral delts are more developed than the frontal delt, except for my frontal left head, that I said before. 
Well, I understand better and I know more: I think was Reg Park that said if you train with BB the overhead press and you are standing or seated with the back no supported,  the middle head is more trained, but if the train is in a back supported site, the frontal delt is more used.  I know, for the last, why Reg used in his late years a lateral dbs exercise where he begin and end the movement with the dbs in his back (also he use the back suppported press, for not let the stomach go forward-- I think due to the more expansion of the abdominal cavity due to a more intense pression of it in the free standing overhead press)

Cool article of the Great Gironda!

Offline Steff

• Global Moderator
  • Hercules Member
  • From BB to OL-lifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »
I think there's a lot of techniques that are overlooked these days. Behind the Neck Press for instance.
Casey Butt has written about it and with the proper technique and flexibility it is a great exercise. I will try to find
Casey's post about it. It totally changed the exercise for me! :D

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:55:44 PM by Sergio »

Offline Steff

• Global Moderator
  • Hercules Member
  • From BB to OL-lifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
Here's a little complement!

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »
I think there's a lot of techniques that are overlooked these days. Behind the Neck Press for instance.
Casey Butt has written about it and with the proper technique and flexibility it is a great exercise. I will try to find
Casey's post about it. It totally changed the exercise for me! :D

Yes, the PBN was the glod standart for Reg.  I began training hard with this exercise several years ago, in my first serious and complete cycle.  In the beginning the luck of elasticity is not a real problem, but when you have to train near your first plateau level, starting the movement with the BB laying in your traps plus the stress due to the stretching of the delts in this position can be a problem.  So it happens to me with 40 kg PBN.  So I  change to military press, and I gain some extra kg in the lift.  Maybe stretching this area could help, with a BB or a piece of wood lowering below the traps to the middle back, like the dislocation of the gymnasts. Maybe the straight arm middle grip BB pullover can help;  this last is very demanding for the elasticity of the delts even with few kg.   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:00:06 PM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:03:23 PM »
The last article tell the same we say in the first post, but as the forward position has to be kept, the work in the middle and rear heads are more intense. Very good exercises.  I never have done it yet.