Author Topic: I need cues for better catch in the snatch?  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Steff

• Global Moderator
  • Hercules Member
  • From BB to OL-lifting
    • View Profile
I need cues for better catch in the snatch?
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:26:45 PM »
I have a tendency to catch the bar a little bit forward, like in the middle of my head instead of at the back of my head.
I do think it's bad habit from my power snatches but I have to get rid of it. 

Ps:I know that a video of my snatches would have made it easier to answer this.  :-[

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:47:56 PM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
Re: I need cues for better catch in the snatch?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »
Abstract:

"Many lifters make the mistake when first learning to snatch and clean of having NO grey area.  What do I mean by that?  They catch every lift either straight-legged or at rock-bottom!  They treat each lift as if it was way too light, or super heavy. It’s time that you learned how to be a middle-man."
"He is not just pulling the bar up and dropping down.  He is pulling the bar up and then he continues to pull on the bar.  He never stops pulling hard on that bar until he has caught it over head."
"You can read that the pull is divided in three pulls. The 2nd pull is that last bit that adds height to the bar and the third pull  where you are pulling yourself down, but they are part of the SAME pull.  There is a continuum.  You start that massive acceleration at the hip that results in you pulling/driving with 100% of your effort.  And you don’t let up!!  Keep pulling with the same effort and you’ll end up pulling yourself down to exactly where the bar is. Stay tight!"
"You do the caught in the Power Snatch with the top of the thighs parallel with the ground. You should try to catch your power snatches (and cleans) at exactly the parallel position (as you define it). "
"You DO have to get under the bar fast.  But, relying on gravity to do the work for you just ain’t gonna fly.  You need to actively pull yourself under the bar. You have to train power snatching to exactly parallel as a “shorting the gap” exercise, the time between when you are pulling strong and tight and when you catch it strong and tight"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:09:14 PM by Sergio »

Offline Steff

• Global Moderator
  • Hercules Member
  • From BB to OL-lifting
    • View Profile
Re: I need cues for better catch in the snatch?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 01:44:57 PM »
Good stuff Sergio!  :)
Never thought of it that way.