Author Topic: Meet Reg Park Mr Britain, by Barton Horvath (1950)  (Read 267 times)

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
Meet Reg Park Mr Britain, by Barton Horvath (1950)
« on: November 03, 2023, 05:56:56 AM »
First part of a Weider magazine article. 1950. Hope one day I can found the rest of the article.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 06:15:18 AM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
    • View Profile
Re: Meet Reg Park Mr Britain, by Barton Horvath (1950)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 06:14:11 AM »
From Weider's article "My Memories of Reg Park" - Iron History Vol 10 Num 2.

"Barton Horvath, a respected bodybuilder in his own right, was writing for me at that time and I had asked him to meet us at Lon's studio so he could interview Reg. Clearly, Reg made a powerful first impression on Barton. My first impression of him was his hugeness. Standing 6' 1" in his stocking feet and weighing 225 pounds of solid muscle, in clothes he was one of the most impressive figures I had ever seen. From tip to tip his shoulders measure more than 24" across. Clothed, as he was, with jacket and topcoat, his shoulder span must have been about 30"and that's some spread. His columnlike neck also drew my attention. A size 19 shirt fitted snugly ... As he took off his shirt my eyes bulged. His trapezius development was absolutely the most massive I had ever seen. The undershirt was next, revealing a 51" normal chest, shoulders round as grapefruits, pectorals the size of half of a football, upper arms that swell the tape to well over 18", and all this tapeiing down to a petfectly muscled, 31" waist . . . After Reg donned a pair of posing trunks the perfect modeling of his full, round thighs and shapely calves could also be seen. During the photo session we learned, remarkably enough, that Reg was not in top shape because he had only been able to do sporadic training during the month prior to departing for the U.S. This news, coupled with the giant standing before us, made us all realizeme, Lon, and Barton-that we were fortunate to be in the presence of the sort of man who only comes along once in a very great while."